1. Applicants to the PhD program at IOT must hold the Lebanese Baccalaureate Certificate, or its equivalent.
2. Applicants must be holders of a Master of Theology degree (MTh; ThM) from an Orthodox institution of higher education with an overall graduation average of 85, or its equivalent.
3.Applicants who hold a Master of Theology degree (MTh; ThM) from a non-Orthodox institution of higher education may need to take bridging courses according to the assessment of the admission committee.
4. Applicants who hold a DMin degree from an Orthodox institution of higher education are admitted in a shorter academic program according to the assessment of the Admission Committee.
5. Applicants will be called for an interview with the Admission Committee. This process may be done through video-conferencing.
6. Applicants who hold a DMin degree from a non-Orthodox institution of higher education are admitted in a shorter academic program in addition to bridging courses in Eastern Christian Theology.
7. Applicants who hold a graduate degree in a related field (MA; PhD; Doctoral degree) will have to take bridging courses according to the assessment of the Admission Committee.
8. Applicants must show a good knowledge in at least one ancient language, which shall be defined by the Admission Committee based on their field of study and dissertation project.
9. Applicants must demonstrate an adequate knowledge of English (TOEFEL 600 for non-native English speakers), as well as an evidence of proficiency in one additional modern language.
10. Applicants for the PhD Program are required to file a full application form and provide the following documents:
a) A detailed project of their study, according to the form provided in the application.
b) A reference letter from their Church Authority.
c) Two recommendation letters by faculty members, who are acquainted with the applicant, sent in a sealed envelope to the office of Admission and Registration.
d) A personal statement expressing their career goals and career objectives in seeking the PhD.
e) Copies of acquired diplomas or degrees.
f) Application form of admission.